Saturday 3 March 2012

Manchester Art Gallery, Friday 24th February

I had seen the long term exhibitions in the Gallery many times before apart from the collections exhibit upstairs, so I decided to focus on that and the new Mark Leckey exhibition. I loved the collections part of the 2nd floor because it is about normal people. Many of the artifacts were just used by people in daily life, and meant something to them. Each one of them have a story to tell and yet no one will ever probably know them. There was a Victorian cross stitched pin lid in one of the collections. Stitched into the top it said 'You are not my sister'. It took me by surprise and really stood out for me because you would never have thought you would see that sort of message on an every day object. This to me sounds like it has a sinister tone, but it may have been endearing or an 'in joke' between the person who made it and who it was made for. This will however only ever be left up to the onlookers imagination from now on.

The other exhibit on the 2nd floor was from the artist Mark Leckey. I particularly enjoyed the video about the rave cultures of the 70s and 80s. It;s interesting to think of that happening in my parents era, even my parents going to them, when to me it seems a rather modern occurance. I also like the link between the image on the video, and the sound that was put with it. I was the only person in the room and there was the largest sound system I had ever seen for that size room, however it served its purpose. The base was so high, you could feel it heavily in your chest and pressure in your head. It kind of took over your body and you couldn't think of anything else. But once it seemed to be dieing away, it was as if you didn't want it to, like it had become the norm. It was an amazing and creative way of representing what you experience in the rave setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment