Sunday 19 February 2012

Self Evaluation

         I feel as though I developed the work in this project well. It is now in a very different place than it was when I started it. The defining point for me was when I managed to focus on one aspect of the found marks in rust, and I could develop this in more detail than when I had many different avenues before. The research wasn't as broad as I would have liked but this was in a way intentional because I could focus on it and it stopped me from having too many different ideas.
          Again The selecting process only really came into its own once I had moved exclusively into rust. I also think because I have more of an educated focus in machine embroidery than I did in the past workshops, I was able to choose things I really liked from my samples, not get confused about what I liked and didn't like.
         I have definitely discovered that machine embroidery is something I want to continue studying in the future. It was something I already had a grounding in, so I was able to push myself into things I hadn't done before because I wasn't learning from scratch. Also the use of colour is not something to be feared. I do prefer more muted colours though. I think it is because of the nature of my work, the dense detail. on some of my samples where the colour has been too bright, the detail and sophistication has been lost.
         The contextual research done has been into both the process of rusting and memory loss, and into artists which use these ideas. Matthew Harris inspired me with the use on dense materials and how his passion for the materials comes through in his work.
         Overall I feel that my time management has allowed me to get a good amount of work done. This could always be improved, but because I needed to use equipment in the studio it encouraged me to stay for longer than I had in previous workshops and therefore get more samples completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment