Wednesday 15 February 2012

Sampling Unit: Machine Embroidery 2


I've started by taking inspiration from what I felt worked best from the last part of this project. The mixed media drawings of the radiator were the inspiration for my last machine embroidery samples and I would like to carry on their theme further.


More drawings using the repetitive organic line and interruptive dark marks as inspiration.


By extending this project I want to further the experimental attitude I was having at the end of the last section of this project. Here are some drawings uing poly filler. They would work well setting in fabric and to create 3D form.


Also extending the experimental theme, I also love the texture and appearance of using latex and thread together. This created a feel of a very alien and substance being added to a surface, and also how much of a mark synthetic materials and human impact leave on surfaces.


More photos have been neccessary to extend the colour palette.


But it took a while to realise what specific area of found mark I was going to focus on. My last ideas were far too vague to explore in much depth, and choosing something highly visual and textured helped to instantly secure my response in textiles. The photos of a rusted fence post were what inspired me the most out of all the photos I took.


Black and white drawings of the same rusted colour photographs. By not using any colour I wanted to focus on the texture and tone of things so as my response was deeper than just the highly intriguing colours I had been drawn to.

No comments:

Post a Comment