Monday 9 January 2012

Unit 2 Sampling


Drawing found marks. Surface holds the memory of the person who made it. There is a presence left even when the person is absent.


Water marks left on a table. Again the relationship between absence and presence. I love the natural looking marks made by humans .

Watermarks left on a painted radiator. I love the marks over the top of a textured surface. This works well into fabric. I like to relate surface memory to human memory and let me analyse my own memory and how wierd it is!


First machine embroidery samples. Relating to the linear marks often found in human made marks. I also like the colour palette forming, quite wooden.  

Relating to the paint streaks on the radiator. Pintucks trapping wool to show through. I like the scratching of the top fabric, it shows a bit of aggression. Its like a bad memory or just something old and wearing away. the memory isn't so crisp anymore; its frayed and showing what's undernieth.


Very ordered pintucks. To me this looks unfinished because I love to mess things up and mix up textures. This to me doesn't relate well to memory because it is so regimented. Every memory deteriorates over time, and loses clarity.


This is a small sample, in fact al my samples have been small so far. But this could work on a much bigger
scale aswell. I also like the way I have created a texture underneith which allows the top adornment to fuse to the fabric easier. This made me wonder what made our own memories last. Was it there meaning, or our time of life, or is it something actually to do with our chemical make-up.



Embellishing nto fabric. Fusing two fabrics together, like when we get memories mixed up and they all blend into one big memory and neither is unique anymore.


Mixing cutting back and fraying with sealing and pintucking. This could be seen in two opposites. The fraying could be a way of still retrieving the memories behind yet they are covered over slightly, and the pintucks could be where the memory is completely lost and there is no way of retrieving them. Or the the pintucks could represent where the memories are still crisp and realistc, and the frayed parts could imply that the memories are breaking down, and are not so detailed as they once were.


A drawing of a wall in the studio. This was created be someone trying to draw on paper, but going off the page rather than keeping in the lines. the paper acted as a barrier from the surface, so it colud not hold the memory.  There is something in the way stopping that memory to sink in to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment