Thursday 17 November 2011

Tyvek Rock Samples


Sample of tyvek which has been heated under the grill. The glue melts and causes the fabric to shrink and bubble up. Once cooled, the glue sets and the fabric becomes hard. This links well to the thes in my project ad enables me to link ideas of shapes I have already come with to fabric and a slightly more conventional material.

Experimenting with a lot of samples on the bdy at once. This is using the tyvek to form a fabric. I like how it is following the shape of the body and is restricted to this, but I think it would be more appropriate to the rock theme if the garment was somehow disrupting or blocking off the shape of a body and forcing the shape of rocks on a person.


Like the idea of small sections of tyvek linked together with a sheer fabric so it is a complete fabric, but at the same time has an edge. I tried this with dissolvable fabric, chiffon and white plastic bags. I think the most successful was the chiffon becasue it want completely see through.


Most recent idea for tyvek. I love the way it resembles a costume, witht the embellishment ontop of a sheer fabric. It seems theatrical but at the same time the chiffon is hard to work with because it frays so easily.


Attempts of adding colour. This is acrylic paint. I think the colour is too strong, and whereas when just left white the small dots of glue add texture; when colour is added, the white dots stay white and make the fabric look less natural. This material is definatley better with no colour added to it.


Photocopying the tyvek samples is really fun. When the light is moving across the fabric, sliding the sample out causes therock to look sticky and molten and viscous. This has moved my project into looking at lava and the other side of rocks deep under the earth. Rocks which move and are almost alive with currents. Moving planes meeting moving planes with violent consequences. It's really exciting.



No comments:

Post a Comment