Saturday 5 November 2011

Drawing Workshop Task 2

The purpose of my sketchbooks this term has been to show the journey I have taken my project on. To do this I feel that I have used the sketchbooks in the right way for how I work. They have been a place for new ideas, development and review; rather than somewhere I present all the ideas once they have been realised. Through doing this my skills in experimentation and willingness to push myself have been highlighted. This is especially true in moving away from the small book which I feel comfortable in, to a much larger one.    


 I thought I would get lost on such a large space, but it has pushed me to work bigger to fill the empty page. It also made me work more cleanly and neatly which has always been a challenge for me, but complements my project well.
     When flicking through the sketchbooks, it is easy to see the intent of my project and the direction it is headed. This I feel has been helped by the short amount of time allocated to us to explore our themes - giving me a stronger focus. In the coming weeks I intend to move out of the sketchbooks more. This is not necessarily to work bigger, but to experiment with many differrent scales, relating to my theme of rocks and the vast differences in scale inwhich they occur.
I don't want this to cause large gaps in the sketchbook and the story of the journey so I want to flick between the two different ways of working frequently.
     Most of the work presented in my sketchbooks has been future ideas, and I would like to document more the process I am taking through photography and observational drawing.
This will aid the flow of my thought processes, but also improve my observational skills and force me to be constantly looking back at what I have done and review every sample. Because of this constant look to the future, there are large jumps in my sketchbooks where I have suddenly changed course, and I intend to go back and smooth them over to explain the reasons behind the seemingly erratic jump into different ideas.
     To some extent, a certain 'style' of working has come through so far in the sketchbooks, but i would like to wok on this further. It is important for me to start focusing on skills I have which are standing out and something which unique to my personal work.

No comments:

Post a Comment